One of the most important things you and your family members can do to ensure good oral health is to visit your dentist regularly for professional exams and cleanings. Although a consistent oral hygiene routine of brushing and flossing at home is, of course, extremely important, you’ll never be able to remove all the plaque and tartar that build up on your teeth if you don’t have professional cleanings performed by a trained dental hygienist on a regular basis. Plaque and tartar buildup can lead to tooth decay and gum disease – both of which can occur in a relatively brief period of time – so it’s important to have that buildup removed twice a year. Some patients, particularly those that are prone to experiencing problems with their gums, may need to visit even more frequently. At his Austin, TX, office, Dr. Baines employs only highly trained dental hygienists with years of experience in performing professional cleanings for patients.
What’s Included in a Dental Cleaning and Exam
Although the specifics of each patient’s visit may vary somewhat, depending on their current state of dental health and dental history, most patients can expect the following during their professional exams and cleanings:
- Teeth are examined for any signs of decay
- Gum tissue is examined to check for signs of gum disease or bone loss
- Existing dental restorations are checked, including fillings, implants, crowns, etc.
- An oral cancer screening is performed
- X-rays are taken, as necessary
- Professional cleaning and polishing is performed by a trained hygienist
- Measuring of gum tissue surrounding teeth may be done periodically to check for signs of gum disease
It’s important to schedule regular exams and cleanings to ensure your own oral health and that of your family members. Dr. Baines normally recommends that patients visit twice a year, but some may require more frequent visits.
Contact Us Today
For more information about exams and cleanings, or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Baines, contact our Austin, TX, office today.